- I start by showing Les Poissons from the Little Mermaid, and give the students the lyrics. They are so cute, singing every word of the song, and they are always surprised about the sprinkles of French thrown in there. We talk about the meaning of those phrases. Today, I even had one student pipe up with "Quel dommage!" later on during the class. That made my heart happy.
- Next, I tell them des blagues stupides, all with fish themes. The biggest groaner today? "What kind of fish can perform surgery? A sturgeon!"
- Then, I tell them about some of the most famous April Fool's Day pranks from history, beginning with the 1957 Spaghetti Harvest gag from the BBC. One of my girls actually said that she would probably have fallen for the Left-Handed Whopper gag!
- Then, I share with them the history of Poisson d'Avril.
- Last of all, I have them make origami fish and they write silly French messages on them to tape on their victims' backs.
And you? How do you teach and celebrate this silly day? Share your comments!